Friday, September 10, 2010

Calligraphy Flourish Friday - Isaiah 40: 28-31



I did this piece yesterday for a friend that has been put through the ringer.
She mentioned that she had just read Isaiah 40: 28-31 and how it was speaking to her exhausted soul.


Isaiah 40 is a favorite passage for many.
I wanted to design an eagle that "soared," but it takes me so long to sketch things out.  I always fuss too much over the details that probably don't matter.  I felt it was more important to get the piece lettered and delivered even though the eagle is more Early American than Soaring Deliverer.




The paper is a pretty, green Canson Mi- Teintes - although you certainly can't tell by the photos.
I used walnut ink and a Hiro 700 nib for the eagle & scripture and a vintage Principality for the flourishes at the bottom.

I want to thank Australian calligrapher and artist Ronnie Ayliffe of Calligraffia for the lovely post she did on A Place to Flourish and my blogging experience.  You can read Ronnie's post by clicking here.

I have really appreciated all your lovely comments and emails.
Thank you! Thank you! :)
I hope you all have a flourishy Friday and a wonderful weekend.
We are heading into my favorite time of the year on this side of the world!

11 comments:

  1. Jane, your lettering continues to get better and better! And those lovely flourishes! Beautiful work, and your friend will be uplifted.
    : j

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, that is such a beautiful piece! The lettering is spectacular but it goes to my heart because it is the gift of a loving heart from one friend to another. I pray that it will comfort and strengthen your friend and be a reminder of God's lovingkindness and faithful love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful, Jane. And what a wonderful gift of love and your lettering is exquisite as always. I enjoyed linking over to Calligraffia and seeing such a wonderful post about you. FARR OUT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work Jane! And how nice to be featured on Calligraffia, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post at Calligraffia, and this piece is just beautiful! I know the quote well (at least the last part of it), but this is the first time I've actually taken the time to "hear" the full text. That's what great calligraphy can do, it makes us want to get closer to the words. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful lettering!! Congrats on being featured too! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this piece, Jane. Wonderful job. Isn't it a special joy to give our art away to someone who needs it and it lifts up their spirit. So nice of you to do that! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jane, no I have not seen that. I do have two other books by Sharon Soneff where Mindy Caliguire was a contributor. Will have to check out her website. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a moving piece, which I am sure will touch your friend deeply and lift her spirit.

    Congratulations on your feature!!!

    Have a lovely week~~
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  10. i often quote the last few lines of this piece because it is one of my favorites. you do wonderful calligraphy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Jane,

    Thanks always for your kind words on my blog. My calendar is a monthly, this is its 12 year.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails