Friday, October 25, 2013

Calligraphy Flourish Friday - Fun Technique

Happy Friday, Friends! Following is a reposting of my August 26, 2011 Flourish Friday.  If you want to see the comments from the original post, CLICK HERE.

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
 Rachel and Matthew started classes at Purdue University this past Monday. I think I've shared before that I try to write to them each week while they are at school.  I enjoy trying new techniques on their envelopes.

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
At IAMPETH, Brenda Broadbent and Linda Hirsh shared a very cool technique using a black Glaze pen.  It so happens this past Saturday the Calligraphy Guild of Indiana celebrated its 30th Anniversary with a picnic. Each member that attended received a goody bag which included a black Glaze pen. (Insert Happy Dance.)

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
 The Glaze pens have this little protective bulb on the end which must be removed before using the pen.

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
 Brenda and Linda demonstrated using the black Glaze pen on black paper.  They showed the technique using elaborate Zentangle designs, but I just did some basic block letters filled with simple designs.

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
 Once the Glaze pen lettering has dried, you go back in with colored pencils.  I used Prismacolor pencils. The marks from the Glaze pen are raised, giving an embossed look.

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC

I still thought the lettering needed something. I went back in with a white Uniball Signo pen and added drop shadows to help the letters pop a bit more.  (I made copies of one of my old Zentangles to put on the kids' cards.) Glaze pen on dark paper = Fun stuff. :)

You've probably heard that Brenda Broadbent is selling Paper & Ink Arts to Al Allen of Durable Supply Co.  /  Marker Supply Co.  I know Brenda has been looking for the right buyer for her company for a looooong time. I wish both Brenda and the Allen family the very best for a smooth and orderly transition.

For those of you in the path of Irene, I pray you are erring on the side of caution.
Wishing everyone a happy and SAFE weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jane. Thanks for sharing your older posts. I have not seen some of them. This one is a great idea. I have the black glaze pen, along with other colors, so I'm going to try this idea. Thanks again for sharing it. Linda E.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails